Monday 18 February 2013

Time To Do Some Painting On The Smallholding? (May be not!)

Continuing on the Cork Park and Ride tale from yesterday.  When we boarded our car to go back to West Cork.  I noticed 'Woodies' DIY store.  So I asked the one who must be obeyed to just nip round the corner and "we'll get some paint."

"What do you want some paint for?"

"To paint our bedroom.  That's if it's cheap enough."

Sure enough we went down the slip road and ended up on the dual carriage way heading towards Ballincollig and West Cork.  So we took another slip road and ended up in the middle of nowhere.  So I said:

"Forget about it we are going home.  I have had enough."

Last night we was watching some TV programme about Hotel Inspectors on Sky, who tell you to make your hotel/B&B into a boutique and spend a fortune on each room, have plastic surgery and charge a hundred quid a night for a bed, shower and a greasy breakfast in the morning.  The reason why I tell you this is because there was lots of talk about PAINT.

So I says last night.

"Think I'll get some paint tomorrow for our bedroom."

The missus tuts.

"What's up?"

Asks me.

"I know your painting.  It's throw everything on the bed and off you go.  There's no emptying the room or painting behind the wardrobe."

After 18 years marriage I think she's got a point.  I have no patience for painting.  Why can't somebody invent a six foot paint brush that paints your room in ten minutes?  I hate painting!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, lots of big stores like that, highly visible from your dual carriageway but almost impossible to find a way in to them.

    Anyway, why would you want to paint a bedroom? Normal people don't spend hours in there admiring the paintwork do they? Or am I not normal?

    Never seen Hotel Inspector, so can't comment, but I can imagine the scene. In my experience, most B & B clients are looking for somewhere reasonably-priced, reasonably clean and with a substantial breakfast served with good humour. I doubt if they'd even notice the colour of the walls.

    But you're right about the infrastructure, walkers don't usually want to walk all day without a break, they expect facilities at reasonable distances apart.

    Lovely sunny morning, blue sky, touch of frost.
    Raggy cat asleep in front of (not on) fire, didn't want any breakfast, must be good hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cumbrian, glad to hear I am not the only one who finds big stores highly visible from a dual carriage way, but impossible to find them.

    The bedroom paint is looking drab. It's about 8 years when I painted it white. Best advice I can give to anybody painting a new house or renovating one - paint it all one colour.

    I think we can all tell some awful or wonderful tales about staying in some ghastly hotel or B&B? Once went to Scotland and noticed (again off a dual carriageway /road) some hand painted writing on the gable of an old house:

    Bed and Breakfast. Ten pounds per night!

    "Stop the car."

    We found the house and a elderly gentleman proprietor who welcomed us into his home and couldn't do enough for us and wouldn't take a penny more. He even made (his suggestion) porridge (at night)for our then 2 year old. He was affable and knew everything about the history of the area. A true gent. Great nights sleep and wonderful breakfast. And all for a very reasonable price!

    Good food (and a bar) and good humour is so important from the host.

    Once went in a 'Hikers bar' in Glenridding (Ullswater) which had a tiled floor, served hot food like soup and pies and a big sign which said:

    "Muddy boots welcome."

    Brilliant.

    Why do people presume that walkers and day trippers don't want facilities or infrastructure? I would love to jump on a bus or train and travel around everywhere. But you can't and the governments won't do anything about it. You can't even get to the pub unless you pay ten Euros for a taxi each way. No wonder people drink at home. I love the countryside but there is no infrastructure.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Onion Set Planting.

I still managed to plant up two of the new planters/raised beds with onion sets in the rain yesterday. Notice the white root sock in the com...