Saturday 23 March 2013

A Smallholding Time Portal? ("Goodnight Sweetheart")

"Goodnight Sweetheart" is the must watch programme on our smallholding at the moment.  It's currently being shown on UK Gold week day nights at 7 in the evening.  It's the story of a TV repair man who finds a time portal and goes backwards and forwards from the 1990's to the 1940's war time Britain.  Gary Sparrow attempts to keep his modern wife and 1940's lady friend, happy at the same time.  It's a brilliant idea for a sitcom and it's a shame it was never made into a film.  Why couldn't the Beeb have made it into a regular weekly soap series?

I particular like the way Gary sings modern day songs to the 1940's pub revellers.  In one recent episode he quotes John Lennon:

"Imagine there's no Heaven, it's easy if you try."

Brilliant.

If I could travel through a time portal.  It would be back to the second world war to see the 'Dig for Victory' campaign in the UK.  Something like this video:

Thanks to You Tube and the compilers of these excellent videos.

Would you like to time travel?



2 comments:

  1. Dave, I have never heard of this programme. It sounds like fun - I will keep an eye out for it on our UKTV channel - lately I have been watching Are You being Served? re-runs - so sad about Captain Peacock... Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carole, I adore British comedies. I didn't know of Captain Peacock's demise. He was a great actor and a gentleman. "Goodnight Sweetheart' is very clever and I think you will like it.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Onion Set Planting.

I still managed to plant up two of the new planters/raised beds with onion sets in the rain yesterday. Notice the white root sock in the com...