Wednesday 5 June 2013

Smallholding Flowers Put On Their Own Display.

Stan Laurel once famously said:

"Haven't we had a lot of weather lately?"

It's so true and we have been blessed with fantastic weather.  It's years since we sat outside for night after night.  Just watching the bay and looking at the flowers and vegetables growing ever so happily.

This a picture of our front garden/path/drive?  We planted some of the pots with annuals and I bought the Greek lady (real plastic) for the missus.  Old Mother Nature did the rest.  Self seeding hardy Geraniums and the Valerian flowers.  Valerian is wonderful for calming the nerves and you can even get Valerian tea bags to help you sleep.  Valerian is said to attract butterflies and rats.  I have read that the Pied Piper of Hamlin used sprigs of Valerian.

It's very difficult to have informal cottage gardens in the countryside.  The surrounding fields and my cattle provide lots of weed seeds in their manure.  But like they say ("who are they?"):

"If weeds won't grow, nothing will grow."


5 comments:

  1. It's glorious weather, lets hope it stays a while. There is a lovely saying- may all your weeds be wild flowers

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a lovely saying, Ronnie. I also wish all the bought plants and flowers seeded themselves everywhere. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valarian grows like mad all down our lane...I love the pink/ redness of the flowers against the wall

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah it's a great plant with it's vibrant colour and wonderful aroma. It likes the sea-side and it's worth collecting some of it's seed to establish some plants in the garden. Some people find it very invasive. I like it very much.

    Thanks John!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i visited different hospital but they gave me list of expensive drugs to treat the symptoms and never cured me. A closed friend of mine introduce me to a Herbal Doctor who cured her. I was scared to contact him because of what i experienced from fake doctors. she encouraged me and gave me his whatsapp contact,and i contacted him and i asked him series of questions, i also ask him to show me the results of those he have cured with his herbal drugs,and he gave me all the information i needed that gave me hope. He send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me. am now Hepatitis negative. God bless you for being a sincere and great man. Am so excited and am free from herpes virus. you can reach him via email;dralikaherbalhome@gmail.com or whats-app/call on +2348116570358{1}HIV/AIDS{2}DIABETES{3}EPILEPSY{4} BLOOD CANCER{5} HPV{6} ALS{7} HEPATITIS{8}LOVE SPELL{9} SICKLE AND ANAEMIA{10} HERPESor add him on email dralikaherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Onion Set Planting.

I still managed to plant up two of the new planters/raised beds with onion sets in the rain yesterday. Notice the white root sock in the com...