Monday 27 January 2014

"Bright Copper Kettles.." "These Are A Few (Couple Actually) Of My Favourite Smallholding Things."


Thought I would show you 2 of my Victorian Copper kettles.   The little kettle is only four inches high and the larger one is about 10 inches high.  I picked them up on my travels around Blighty and Ireland.  Think I bought the little kettle in Taunton on the way to Cornwall.

An antique dealer told me it was a iron monger salesman's sample kettle.  Instead of taking a large kettle up to 'big house' (pulling forelock..).  He would just carry a little sample kettle.  Somebody else told me it was made just for 'one' cup.

 "A nice cup of tea."

Somebody else said it's an apprentice piece.  An apprentice Copper Smith would have to make a miniature kettle to become a Coppersmith.  Dunno?  But it will get passed down to the kids.  Hope they don't sell them and my  vintage tractors.  I recently made a will.  It was very sobering and made me think of our mortality here on Earth.  We are only passing through.  Just tenants for the next generations.

Do you have any copper kettles or heirlooms?  Do you think it was an apprentice piece?

5 comments:

  1. Not sure what it is but we could do with finding a kettle for the stove to save on power. They lok good as a pair though!
    And that reminds me - my wife and I need to write a will! We've been on about it for ages and keep putting it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Kev. I believe electric kettles use Kilowatts. What about a kettle with a whistle?

    I didn't like getting our will drawn up. But its not expensive at all. Think it cost me about 150. Some solicitors don't charge anything if you are a client. Splitting up the smallholding is not an easy task. Most smallholdings are too small to do that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're nice pieces, I used to own one like the big example, don't know if it ever boiled any water. Never seen one so small, don't know the reason, all the possibilities seem reasonable.
    I've heard the "apprentice piece" of miniature examples about other trades.

    Making a will is something we all tend to put off, I did have one in a previous existence when I had something worth leaving, but since an unwanted divorce 7 years ago which left me homeless and destitute, the only thing I had left was debts, so the idea of a will never seemed relevant, nobody wants to inherit debts.
    Another reason is, as you say, it makes you realise your days in this life are numbered, we're only passing through, and I don't think any one of us want to dwell on that, even though we all know it's inevitable. Can't remember who said it, but the only two things certain in this life are death and tax.

    Dry this morning, dull, cool and breezy.
    Raggy cat in front of fire, Mrs just asked for it to be put on, she's too bloody soft with that animal.



    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cumbrian. I think the copper kettles must have been very heavy when they were filled with water. We also have a metal flat iron. The Victorian/Edwardian kitchen must have been sheer hard work. I hate cleaning my copper and brass with Brasso. So it's normally about once or twice a year. I have heard you can clean them with white vinegar and also with tomato ketchup. Keeps saying I will lacquer them. Any ideas?

    You can always change a will. But at least if you draw it up your partner (loved one's) know what your finall wishes are. I'd like one of those wicker coffins like JS had when he died. I like the 'green funeral' idea of planting a tree on a grave instead of a stone. The Quakers seem very keen on this method of burial. Think it was Benjamin Franklin who came up with the very profound saying.

    Wind seems to have gone for a while. Been terrible the last few days. Raggy cat reminds me of my next blog post. Think our pets no what's best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me. https://www.scrapmetalsydney.com/

    ReplyDelete

My Little Plants Nursery.

 My small perennials nursery in the polytunnel. I showed you a glimpse of my big perennials and shrubs plant pot  nursery yesterday next to ...