Thursday 20 April 2017

Two Fish Plates Bought At A Car Boot Sale.











We saw these two wonderful fish plates at a car boot sale the other week.  They have Johnson Bros stamped on the back of them.  I think they were made in the nineteen sixties.  I Googled them and found that they were a Staffordshire pottery and went out of business in 2003, resulting in the loss of a thousands jobs and production went to China.  

If you look carefully you will notice they have holes drilled through the plates.  Me (we) think they are cake stand plates and we need to buy a metal doings, thingamajig metal holder for them.  Do you like them?


I paid 15 Euros for them both.   I have seen one on it's own for Forty Euros on Ebay.  Not a bad mornings work/ shop around the car boot sales.  


I particularly like the Perch.  It takes me back to my Coarse Fishing days when I was much younger than today.  Don't think I will sell them.  We are turning into Wombles/ Hoarders.  Perhaps you will see us one day on that programme on Channel Four?


The weather is still fantastic here and the potatoes are pushing their shoots through the soil every day and I am using my trusty Azada (hoe) to cover them up with soil.  I am also busy weeding everywhere at the moment.  

Hope you are all well and enjoying the sunshine.

15 comments:

  1. What sunshine? I can only see grey cloud and snow.

    Once I bought second hand soup, dinner and side plates for 6 (Jos. Wedgwood) for 30 or 40 euros. I'm often to be found paying pay a couple pounds extra for a local product, rather than an imitation from the other side of the world. We should support local industries wherever we live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gwil. The weather is exceptionally good in Ireland at the moment. There are so many British companies that have gone to the wall. Even Raleigh bicycles are no longer made in England. Your Jos.Wedgwood crockery sound a good buy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are lovely plates, definitely a bargain. Can't see where the holes are. Maybe they are to hang on the wall? I have an 80 year old royal daulton plate which belonged to my grandmother. It's worth a bit but not worth selling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LA. I am glad you like the plates. I know what you mean about your grandmothers plate having sentimental value. I have all my late mothers Coronation cups.. I would never sell them. We could never have a antique shop because we would only buy what we like and of course we wouldn't want to part with them. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Nice plates. I would imagine every household had something by Johnson Bros in the cupboard in the 1950s/60s and I guess if I turn some of my old Woolies stuff over and have a look it will say Johnson Bros. (They made "everyday" crockery for the high street).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. I don't think there is a lot of it left though. Good old Woolies. "That's the wonder of Woolworths." Yet another high street name that is no longer with us. We went in C & A when we went to Portugal recently. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Those fish plates must have been in their "gift range".

      Delete
    3. Yes you could be right Rachel. I just like them because I love coarse fish.

      Delete
  5. I'm guessing the holes came later - folks are turning everything into cake stands just lately. I'm from The Potteries, I'm not familiar with the pattern or that particular backstamp - maybe they were export only. They always crammed loads more information on the back for the US market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information Wanda. I live in Ireland. Somebody may have emigrated to America and brought them back here. I have seen similar plates on Ebay but not with holes in them. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I prefer the 2nd plate it is less busy. Are you putting them on a wall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sol. I like the Perch on the first plate. Will probably put them on a wall or make a cake stand with them. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. I would use the plates! Back in the UK I would have hung them on the wall, but since I have lived in France I tend not to want to have too much clutter around, .....possibly something to do with not wanting to have to dust things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vera. We love car-booting and collecting things. I know what you mean about not wanting to do dust things though. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. I found it interesting how your notes only focus on website..
    โคนัน เดอะมูฟวี่

    ReplyDelete

Onion Set Planting.

I still managed to plant up two of the new planters/raised beds with onion sets in the rain yesterday. Notice the white root sock in the com...