Tuesday 24 October 2017

Gaelic Coffee To Help You Relax.



Do you like Gaelic or Irish coffees?  I actually prefer Scottish whisky to Irish whiskey (notice the different spellings).  So we made Gaelic or Scottish coffees the other day.



Gaelic coffees in Irish coffee glasses.  

Ingredients:

Brew some strong ground black coffee (we buy ours from Aldi) and place a teaspoon of brown sugar in a handle glass (so you don't burn your fingers), add a measure of whisky to the glass.  We used Teachers because we had it in.  Add the coffee to the glass and stir.  Then add some whipped cream.  We used a aerosol of spray cream.  Enjoy.  There are supposed to be thirteen gales hitting Ireland over the coming weeks.  

Oh yeah. 

Did you watch the BBC 4: A Year In A English Garden last night?  It's on BBC Player if you missed it.  Not that we can get it in Ireland.  I loved the walled kitchen garden and there is always something to do. Even when its raining, just for a change.  I have a North facing (Northsider) garden and understand the joys and failures of gardening next to the sea and sometimes you get all the seasons in a day.

13 comments:

  1. My preference is either Jameson's or Black Bush for an Irish coffee although it is all a question of individuality. Again I use double cream gently floated on to the mix on via the back of a spoon.
    Really and truly to my mind the best spirit to use with coffee is Jamaican Demerara Rum for it is very warming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also prefer Jameson's or Black Bush of the Irish whiskeys. I believe the Irish monks first distilled whiskey and called it:'Uisce Beatha' which translates to "water of life". My favourite Malt Scottish whisky is Dalwhinnie. But I would never dilute that with hot water. I must try the Jamaican Demera Rum it sounds great. Thanks Heron!

      Delete
  2. Jamesons and lots of squirt cream!! Used to make these when I worked at a bar at a pool in the summer many moons ago. Loved that first shot of coffee and strong whiskey, and creamy lips. Wouldn't mind one now but no whiskey or whisky or cream. Not the same with ouzo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi La. We sometimes make them with vodka if we have no whiskey/whisky in the house. Calypso Coffee is good with Tia Maria. Thanks!

      If anybody else knows any variations or winter cocktails please let us know.

      Delete
  3. I remember when these were all the rage here in the 1970a, not sure if they still are. I have to admit to never having tasted one; I don't drink whisky or coffee! Thanks Dave, interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel. I know a few people who don't drink coffee. I rarely drink tea. I remember drinking cold ("Barrys")tea in a bottle stored in a sock. When we use to help with the loose hay making in the early 1970's. What's your favourite drink?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That doesn't seem like you Rachel. You know your wines very well. I like to have a drink at night and relax. Its the hot whiskies when I know there is a storm coming. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reminder. I always like to have a bottle of whisky or whiskey or both at hand during the season of sniffles and colds. I mix a drop with hot water and honey if I feel something coming on. It's my medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean Gwil. A good hot toddy and a sleep and sweat out the cold. Suppose you could make it with Schnapps too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here I take an obstler'or 'zirbenschnapps' or in Italy a 'grappa' after a heavy meal. I think a dark rum is good medicine in winter.

      Delete
  8. The content of your blog is exactly what I needed, I like your blog, I sincerely hope that your blog a rapid increase in traffic density, which help promote your blog and we hope that your blog is being updated.
    ลาลีกา

    ReplyDelete

Daffodils In A Old Tractor Tyre In The Polytunnel.

 Repurposing my Ford 3000 tyre for a planter in the polytunnel. I told you I wouldn't post a veggie post today.   Do you think the Tate ...